Aspartate aminotransferase, serum test shows out of range. Elaborate the condition?

Hello Doctor,

I am XXXXXXX I am 29years old. Height 5 feet 6inches weight 75kg.
I recently went for a general medical checkup. All the tests were normal but my Aspartate Aminotransferase, Serum test shows out of range. Bilogical reference range is 15-37 but for me it was 43. Can you please elaborate this condition? Do I need to worry? What should be the next steps?

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

You have recently done Liver function test which show slight increase in Aspartate aminotransferase (AST). This is not a serious problem and no need to worry about it.

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) is usually used to detect liver damage. It is often ordered in conjunction with other liver enzyme, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), or as part of a liver panel to screen for and/or help diagnose liver disorders. AST and ALT are considered to be two of the most important tests .

Slight AST or ALT elevations (within 1.5 times the upper limits of normal) do not necessarily indicate liver disease. Hence AST of 43U/L is ok.

There is no need to worry or no further tests required.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.