Asked to use Ovaa shield for getting pregnant. Can this be used by anyone?

Mar 2013
Hi Doctor,

I am asked by my sister to use Ovaa shield for getting pregnant. She is in India. I am in USA. I have two questions.
Can this be used by anyone?
I don't seem find it in US, tried WWW.WWWW.WW If it is not in US, is there any alternative to this?

Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
Ova Shield contains Letrozole and other nutrients .
Letrozole is basically a drug which stimulates the ovaries to produce egg follicles.
In the US, it is known as Femara.
It is not a drug you should be taking on your own, nor will you be able to procure it that way.
Basically, if you have had difficulties in conceiving, you should consult an INfertility specialist ( that too, if you have had one year of unprotected intercourse, as you are only 24 and quite young ).
Do NOT start any medications or treatment on your own, all these drugs have their own side effects and are meant to be taken under medical supervision.
First you should have basic assessment and investigations meant for couples who have difficulty in getting pregnant.
These include - baseline hormonal tests, semen analysis of your husband, ovulation status documentation, assessment of patency of the fallopian tubes etc.
Only after these investigations, you would be prescribed proper line of treatment as seen fit by the doctor.
Meanwhile, maintain an ideal BMI, and take regular folic acid supplements.
Do not stress out over things, as it has negative impact on fertility.
Take care, and do not self medicate.
Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Asked to use Ovaa shield for getting pregnant. Can this be used by anyone? 49 minutes later
Thanks for detailed explanation.
Can you please suggest me the brand which is good for frolic acid supplements.
I am asked by doctor to take "prenatal supplement with DHA". I purchased it from CVS. Can I continue with it along with frolic acid supplements that you recomended?

I have another question.
My blood group is o-ve. My husband blood group is AB-ve. Would be there any incompatibility and causing infertility?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Prenatal supplements contain adequate amounts of folic acid, you do not need to take extra folic acid tablets if you take prenatal supplements regularly.
Also, luckily since both of you have Rh Negative blood group, there is no issue of blood group incompatibility, and not at all a reason for causing infertility.
Please do not worry, as stress in itself is a major reason for hormonal imbalance and infertility in young couples.
All the best.
Follow-up: Asked to use Ovaa shield for getting pregnant. Can this be used by anyone? 41 minutes later
Ok thanks.
Are there any other medicines/vitamins I should take.

I have few general questions. Sorry to ask many questions, but I don't know whom to ask)

1. What are the best days to XXXXXXX couples.
2. How frequent we should XXXXXXX
3. I heart that meeting on 3rd of. Period may help sometimes to get pregnant. Is it true?
4. After we XXXXXXX a lot of semen is coming out(wasted) from my viginia. Is that common. Could you please let me know any tip to avoid that.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Apart from prenatal supplements, do not take any medications.
Please ask as many questions as you wish, without hesitation, it is a privilege to be able to help you.
1. If you have regular 28 day cycles, then ovulation generally occurs on day 14.
If you count the first day of bleeding as day 1, then make sure you have intercourse daily or every alternate day from day 10 to day 20 of your cycle.
2. It is better to have daily or alternate day sexual intercourse during fertille days.
3. Intercourse on third day of period has zero possibility of pregnancy
4. It is common for semen to liquify and come out of the vagina after intercourse, do not worry about that. To maximize your chances of pregnancy, lie down on your back, and hug your knees to your chest, and stay in this position for 10 - 15 minutes, before using the washroom.

All the best.
Follow-up: Asked to use Ovaa shield for getting pregnant. Can this be used by anyone? 1 hour later
Like "prenatal supplements" for me is there any supplement for my husband to take?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
He does not need to take any, if he feels fine.
Women need to take them, because in case you conceive, prenatal supplements contain all the nutrients you should have taken before pregnancy.
If your husband has any specific problem, he needs medication.
Otherwise, a healthy diet and regular exercise should be fine.