Ascending colon, loose, wrapped around liver, gas formation. Complications and treatment ?

Question
I am a 70yr old female. My ascending colon has come loose and wrapped itself around my liver. I have some pain. Lots of gas. What can be done to correct the problem. And what may be any complications? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Hello.

Coming off of ascending colon as such is not likely to cause any problems. It cannot be reason of gas and indigestion.

You need to take OTC available digestive enzymes and anti flatulants to deal with the problem.

If there is pain due stretching of the attachments of the ascending colon, it needs to be fixed to the posterior abdominal wall surgically only.

In rare cases it can lead to intestinal obstruction. In case of any bad symptoms like absolute constipation, acute pain abdomen, vomiting, etc you need to consult your surgeon.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Regards.