Artificial disc replacement done. Have 2 discs in low back slightly compressing the thecal sac. What does the lab teat mean?

Nov 2013

What does a lab test mean with these results?
AST H 73 (<31) U/L
ALT H 60 (<40) U/L
T4, FREE L 0.75 (0.93-1.7) ng/dL
XXXXXXX H 40 (<40) Titer speckled pattern

Taurine L 313 nmol/ Cr 380-1850
Glutamine H 785 nmol/ Cr 190-510
3-Methylhistidine L 140 nmol/ Cr 160-520
Carnosine L 4 nmol/ Cr 10-90
A-Aminoadipic Acid L 19 nmol/ Cr 40-110
Proline H 6 nmol/ Cr
---expected values-----
0 (> or = 25 months)
ornithine L 6 nmol/ Cr 20-80
cystathionine L 6 nmol/ Cr 20-50
cystine L 36 nmol/ Cr 43-210
lysine L 83 nmol/ Cr 145-634
methionine L 9 nmol/ Cr 38-210
Isoleucine L 15 nmol/ Cr 16-180
I had artificial disc replacement in 2010, 2 levels c5,6 c6,7. I have 2 discs in my low back slightly compressing the thecal sac, 1 of them is torn as well.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, I wish to appreciate the detailed and clear description, which you have provided regarding your illness.
Also, the picture of your feet is also very helpful.

The description is suggestive of a nerve disorder called as peripheral neuropathy.

In view of the hammer toes and clawing of feet, it seems to be a long-duration illness.
The success treatment of any illness would depend on the correct diagnosis.

Commonest reasons for peripheral neuropathy are:

1. Diabetes mellitus- can be easily checked in blood tests, if not already done.

2. Leprosy- can be easily diagnosed by careful examination of skin (to look for insensitive white patches) and thickened nerves. However, it is very uncommon in North Americas.

3. Vasculitis- XXXXXXX is high, but other tests may be required, such as c-ANCA, p-ANCA, Anti-ds-DNA, etc.

4. CIDP- it is a chronic disorder of the nerves, where there is inflammation of nerves and damage to myelin (covering of the nerves).

In addition, the final diagnosis may require:
1. Nerve conduction studies, and
2. Nerve biopsy

Please consult a Neurologist for the above.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Artificial disc replacement done. Have 2 discs in low back slightly compressing the thecal sac. What does the lab teat mean? 1 hour later
Can you tell me more about the lab results, please?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Among the lab results, there are two worth noting:
1. Elevated AST and ALT- this indicates some inflammation of liver. The common reasons are related to intake of alcohol or due to certain medications.

2. Elevated ANA- this could be seen in collagen vascular disease or vasculitis, but needs further evaluation, as mentioned in point 3 above.

Other lab reports show deficiencies of amino acids, but are not likely to be of much clinical significance.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)