Arthroscopy done under the right knee. Muscle spasm in L1-L4 after surgery. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son, aged 17, had an arthroscopy under his right knee done. After about 24 hours he had a muscle spasm in L1-L4. Is it normal?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 37 minutes later

Thanks for asking your query.

The spasm you mentioned must be due to the spinal anaesthesia. It is expected in some patients and is absolutely normal. It is not limited to only L1-L2 level but entire lumbar spine. The focus should be on the outcome of arthroscopy and leave the spasm to relieve over time of 3 to 5 days.

The medicines are in order and need no second opinion.

Allow it to recover and get help from physiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query. If you need more help I'm available for follow up.