Arthroscopic hip surgery, heart rate dropped to 40, BP low. Causes ?

had arthroscopic hip surgery 6 days ago. in par, heart rate dropped to 40, i think my bp dropped as well as they had to bolus me. What would have caused this?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 5 minutes later

I am presuming in par means during surgery. In all probability you have had a vasovagal attack during the procedure precipitated by pain of an injection or a needle piercing or cutting the synovial membrane of the hip joint. This causes an intense stimulation of the parasympathetic system giving rise to a slow heart rate and fall in BP. The other possibility is one of the medicines being used per operatively did not agree with you. Either way no long term issues but you could clarify with your doctor and rule out a drug allergy so you could add that name to the list of drugs you have already mentioned.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.