Arthritis. Is there a permanent cure through medical management?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
is there a permanent cure for arthritis thru medical management
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Arthritis is an age related degenerative disease. It is a disorder in which we talk in terms of improvement and not cure.
This is an immune based disorder associated with multiple superadded problems. The best way to have relief is to have medicines for symptomatic relief.
According to the symptoms, the drugs are prescribed to improve the quality of life of the patient. There is no effective way to limit the disease progression except for gene therapy which is still under trials.
Medical management only offers relief from the symptoms and not a permanent cure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Arthritis. Is there a permanent cure through medical management? 25 minutes later
can the steriod injections help?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Steroid injections locally reduce the inflammation in the area and help in relieving the acute symptoms for some time. These do not reverse the disease process. These will help you but are not the permanent cure.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.