Arm pain while driving, numbness. Have herniated disc in neck. Related?

Nov 2013

Hello...I've had 3 surging pains up through my right arm while I was driving, and it went completely numb for about 5 to 10 seconds. There was also a period last night that it did the same thing. It feels fine now, but I'm wondering what I should do if it happens again.
On the medical page, I forgot to put that I also have a herniated disc in my neck which may be in relation to the problem.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Your symptoms are suggestive of radicular pain in the right arm. The pain usually starts in the neck, and radiates down the arm. The pain may get aggravated with neck movements, driving, use of computer, etc. The reason for this pain is usually a disc herniation in the cervical region (a condition that you already have). So, this arm pain and herniated discs are co-related.
If you get pain again, you may consult your GP/neurologist. After clinical examination, he may order for an MRI cervical region (if a recent MRI is not available in your case). The initial treatment consists of using neuropathic pain medications (such as pregabalin or gabapentin) and physiotherapy (neck extension exercises, traction, etc).
I hope I have clarified your queries. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad