Arm and hand become numb after sleeping interrupting night sleeps. Solution?

my right arm and hand "go to sleep" at night, usually after I've slept about 5 hours, interrupting my "night's sleep". This has been going on for a few months. Can you suggest cause or causes? Solution?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 49 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Where was the stent placed? Which “exit” artery?
I did not quite get what you mean by “arm and hands go to sleep”. Do they become numb?
Please describe in detail all your symptoms.
Are you on any medications?

I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Follow-up: Arm and hand become numb after sleeping interrupting night sleeps. Solution? 2 hours later
I take a "baby" aspirine daily & 10 mg simistatin. My hand feels tingly and a little numb. The stent was in an artery on the right side of my heart and was one that blood flowed out from the heart. I don't know medical terms. Looking at a photo of my heart it indicates AXIOM-Artis VA42C 0000 HFS com///s/// if this is the artery's name.
Do you have some diagnosis after I replied to your questions?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 12 hours later
Thanks for the update!!

The name of the artery is unclear and only one aorta flows out of the heart and divides later.
If the stent was in the right subclavian or axillary artery, it could cause symptoms in the right arm.
There are 2 possibilities for numbness in the right arm and hand.
1.     Arterial re-stenosis: re-occlusion of the artery causing lack of adequate blood supply to the right arm.
This would also cause some pain, pallor (pale color), sometimes discoloration in the fingers, especially if the arm is folded on the chest , reducing arterial flow.
2.     Neuropathic symptoms- If there is new nerve compression developing in the neck, it may also cause tingling, numbness, paraesthesia (altered sensations)

In both cases, you need to get checked up.

Are you sleeping with arm under the head or so?
Is there some discoloration in the fingers? Where exactly is the tingling? Inner/ outer side of fingers/ arm etc.

Can elevating both arms up above the head and touching both ears for sometimes causes symptoms in the right arm again?

Can you by any chance feel the difference in the pulses at the wrists on both the sides (right and left)?

I would advise you to consult your treating doctor to get this checked out as total occlusion of an artery (if due) can be XXXXXXX
Continue aspirin and simvastatin.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!