Area over serratus muscle is swollen and puffy. What to do?

the area over my serratus muscle on left side is swollen and puffy. I workout alot but dont think i have strained it
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cold packs and CT scan recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

It looks like you have done some research based on which you have provided the location and muscle that lies beneath. Good job.

Based on the location, the most likely cause would be a bruise/injury/trauma which could have resulted in muscular injury and thus the swelling. This can be brought about by exercise, stretches, weight lifting, blunt trauma, etc.

But the location is a very sensitive one, due to the organs that lie beneath. For this reason, a CT scan of the region is recommended in all or most cases with such a presentation. If there is swelling, then the CT scan should pick up the possible cause as well. So please go ahead with the same.

I would also appreciate some information like the time of appearance, history of injuries, description of pain, description of overlying skin (redness, rash, etc). In the meantime, apply cold packs to the region, through the day to promote healing and reduce swelling.

Hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further help.

Best wishes.