Are very small red spots over the skin of a bruise normal? Had blood withdrawn.

Are very small red spots over the skin of a bruise normal? I had blood drawn 3 days ago and have a small bruise with these red spots at the injection site.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations. from the information you submitted it seems as if you are having a small degree of bleeding under the skin where your blood was drawn.

This is actually quite common and occurs in at least 10% of patients who have blood samples drawn at a laboratory. the bruising is certainly common but the spots you're seen within the bruise are a little bit less common. This is most likely due to tiny areas of bleeding from small capillaries under the skin. Again this is nothing to worry about. I would suggest that if you take any blood thinning medication such as aspirin or ibuprofen that you might discontinue those for the next few days.

You might also consider using some warm compresses on the affected area every 4 to 6 hours as needed for the next couple of days. This will help the bruise resolve.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert