Are there other drugs that can replace Budesonide and Formoterol?

Hi, I have asthma and I use budesonide and formoterol. However these drugs are no longer a desirable effect. There is another drug that can replace or add it to the other?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Asthma, the therapy is a step up and step down as per the clinical state. I you do not seem to improve with those drugs, yes there are other groups of drugs available to top up to improve symptoms if that is the main concern. These include mast cell stabilizers, leucotriene antagonists etc. But, you would have to be reviewed which would suit you first. And this can only be possible with your prescribing physician.

Other possibilities are better drugs of the same class that you taking already. There are drugs better than formoterol and budesonide, so you should be fine soon with the change in therapy as advised by your doctor.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Are there other drugs that can replace Budesonide and Formoterol? 1 hour later
What betters drugs than formoterol and budesonide?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The regime that your doctor has in mind for you would be different for each patient, for instance your doctor might be increasing the dose of Budesonide instead of changing it. That also is rational.

So, it is for your doctor to decide which one works better for you.

I hope, this helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.