Are there interactions between antibiotics and contraceptive pills?
User rating for this question
Hi,I took unwanted 72 while i was on antibiotics for dental problems.are there any chances of pregnancy?I heard antibiotics make emergency pills less effective.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Very few antibiotics affect unwanted 72. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM It is important to know what antibiotics you are taking for dental problem. Pregnancy because of antibiotics and hormone contraceptive like unwanted 72 interactions is rare,however can be possible. Very few antibiotics affect the birth control pill.Major drugs are griseofulvin,rifampicin, and some HIV drugs. However due to prolong intake of antibiotics like amoxycillin, ampicillin,chloramphenicol,clindamycin, cephalosporin,cotrimoxazole and tetracycline lessens the amount of intestinal bacterial flora involved in the decomposition of ethinyl estradiol in the gastrointestinal tract. Due to decrease of this synthetic estrogen in the blood, ovulation may be possible. You should wait for your next period to come.Most probably there shouldn't be any problem.Even if it happens,there are ways to tackle it.Don't worry at all. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
People also viewed
- Are there interactions between antibiotics and contraceptive pills
- Shelcall tablets during pregnancy
- Contraceptive pills interaction with ornidazole
- Hand foot and mouth cause menieres
- Contraceptic pill
- Can lack of food cause vision problems
- Tetralysal antibiotics contraceptive pill
- What poison causes frequent urination
- Is there any birth defects when you smoke bath salts pregnant?
- Can reflux cause frequent urination
- Red spots and veiny throat
- Antibiotics contraceptive pill
- Gatorade cause arthritis flare up
- Fever and restlessness baby
- Can a hernia cause frequent urination