Are there exercises I can do to speed up the healing of knee injury?

Dec 2012

I'm pretty sure I sprained both knees on the uneven streets of new orleans while wearing heels. Now after 4 weeks of resting the knees as much as possible and wearing a brace my knees are itching. I would like to know if there are exercises I can do to speed the healing, and how long I should expect there to by symptoms.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: you have done well already Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query, I am glad to be able to assist you with your health concern. I believe you have done pretty much well already. Knee injuries are common and range from mild to severe and I believe yours is mild and you need not worry much. Normally your symptoms should subside within a couple more days or weeks but if they persist then you need to see a doctor who can run further diagnostics. Some scans might help give a more precise level of injury and the type of injury will determine the recover step. At home, you could practice some few stretch exercises including lower limbs massage. You do not necessarily need a professional help as that will cost you some extra money. You are free to google home exercises to strengthen knee and lower limbs. That will help. I do how ever wish you the best and will be glad to hear back from you if you have any further questions. Best regards Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Are there exercises I can do to speed up the healing of knee injury? 7 hours later
Dear Dr. Nsah, Thank you so much for your assessment! What made you decide that the sprain was mild? Was it looking at the pictures? Also, I'm interested in the location of the sprain so that I can better do research. It's on the inside of the knee in a seemingly long band. I notice it because it hurts after walking and my knees have been popping out of place and back in. Warmly, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 38 hours later
Brief Answer: Did not decide it is mild Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Sorry if you felt I decided that your sprain was mild, I just read from your description and drew my conclusion that it must be mild as moderate to severe would have taken you first hand to the ER. Most people prefer to manage mild injuries at home. We often consider the severity of an injury to be directly related to the level of pain i.e mild pain signifies mild injury etc. But sometimes, an often severe injury such as ruptured tendon may not necessarily present with moderate to severe injury and can only be seen during a scan. If pain is persisting, then it is also an indication for you to see a doctor for further evaluation. In your case, I suspect either you are having a knee cap displacement or a ruptured tendon. Other orthopedic injuries maybe present but those are often the most common. Just try seeing a doctor for further evaluation. Hope this helps further. Dr. Nsah