Are there are chances of being HIV positive inspite of two HIV tests reporting negative ?

I had a duo HIV test at 28 days after sleeping with a sex worker and then another duo test at 11 weeks, both test where negative is there any chance I could still be positive
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

If the duo test included a XXXXXXX test or nucleic acid test then you can be certain that you are negative for the HIV virus. 11 weeks is plenty of time to allow for an accurate analysis of your blood for the HIV virus. If your test was an antibody test then you can still rely on that as a true negative result as well at 11 weeks.

I hope this has provided you with good reassurance and if you have any followups related to this, I am certainly available.