Are there any treatment for correcting scoliosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Are there any treatment for correcting scoliosis? I have a slight kyphosis?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sliught kyphosis can be helped with exercise.

Detailed Answer:
The treatment of scoliosis or kyphosis depends on the severity of the disability. The degree of curve lesser than 30 degrees can usually be treated with conservative treatment and spinal braces.
For severe deformity specially those having a curvature of 60 degrees or more may need a surgical treatment.
Regular back strengthening exercises and bracing can increase the tone of the muscles and decrease the further progression of disability and the pain due to abnormal posture.
You need to get an X-ray of the spine in lateral view to detect the degree of disability.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Are there any treatment for correcting scoliosis? 10 minutes later

Thanks for the answer?
What I remember from my earlier Xray was that it was less than 30 deg towards left. may be in 5 - 10 deg range). But that was a long time before and I plan to check whether it is progressing with a new Xray and by your recommendaton I will go for the lateral view of the spine.
But in the mean time can you please answer my further query on this subject?
Will kyphosis affect the structure of Rib cage and what can I do to analyse the same. i see on the net some cases related to being pegion chested and my question comes from the same. will the same xray provide enough information to answer this. i do not have any breathing trouble as such. Recently my lumbar region is curving inwards may be to compensate for the kyphosis. i would like to prevent its progression too.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kyphosis can affect the rib cage too.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Kyphosis can cause you to have a pigeon chest. This can be detected on the chest X-ray lateral view. Usually it is asymptomatic and does not cause any problem and no treatment is needed.
The inward curving of the lumbar region seems to be a compensatory change. The further progression can be prevented with the help of regular physiotherapy exercises.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.