Are there any side effects of using topical solution of 0.1% finasteride?

Hi, My age is 25. I have been suffering from hairloss for more than 5 yrs. One year back when i consulted a dermatologist, he prescribed me Morr-F 5% which also contains 0.1% Finasteride with it. I did see good hair growth on my scalp. But again i felt hairloss started, so when i told about this to the Dr, he prescribed Finald(Finasteride 1mg). I didn't take it after reading its worst side effects. My question is , is there any side effects of using topical solution of 0.1% finasteride? If so, how far it will affect a person? Thanks, XXXXX
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usage of topical finasteride solution Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . Your concern is regarding using a topical formulation of finasteride. I would like to provide you information from certain important studies. As far as side effects from oral finasteride are concerned, actually 1 in 10 have side effects from the oral medicine. These side effects are not only in the form of impotence and ddecreased libido but can be in the form of a mild rash or breast tenderness. On the other hand, it has been seen that less than 1 in 1000 have side effects from topical finasteride. Now topical application of finasteride does allow for systemic absorption of finasteride from a topical application, but the serum levels of finasteride would be less than that from a comparable 1 mg oral dose of finasteride. The experience from several thousands of patients has been that less than 0.1% of patients have had side effects from topical 0.1% solutions of finasteride. So owing to its benefits and it's role in hair loss, topical preparations are surely beneficial and can be used for long term. Also I would like to tell you that in case you encounter any problems, then you can stop using it. The problems , if any, with its use are all reversible in nature and tend to revert to normal once it's application is stopped. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul