Are there any side effects of long term parit and meva C?

Sep 2012

I have been having Parit and Meva C for the last 4 months. My doc had advised these medicines to me as I was having blood in my stool and he said it was mainly because of stress. Since I'm having these medicines for a long time, I wanted to know if there are any side effects?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, from your history, it can be said that you were suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. For that reason, you were given these drugs.

Parit contains rabeprazole. It is a proton pump inhibitor. By this mechanism, it decreases the acidity. It has no major side effect. The most common side effects of this drug are gastrointestinal disturbances, headache, and rash due to hypersensitivity.

Mega-C contains mebeverine and chlordiazepoxide. These are antispasmodic agents. Among these, mebeverine does not have any major side effects. It causes rash due to hypersensitivity, gastrointestinal disturbances. But chlordiazepoxide, on long run has some bad side effects like dependency, gastrointestinal disturbances, headache, etc.

It is 4 months you are taking these drugs.

I think you should consult with a gastroenterologist for a thorough clinical examination, ordering investigation like endoscopy if required, and for further management according to your disease condition.

So, overall, except the chlordiazepoxide, the other drugs which you are taking does not have any major side effect.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.