Are there any side effects of LASIK surgery? Could you recommend a hospital in Bangalore?

Dermatologist
Question
I have short sight (-1.5) and I'm thinking about doing a Laser surgery.
Kindly let me know if there are any side effects that I should know and/or precautions that I should follow.
Also, could you recommend a hospital/doctor for my surgery at Bangalore?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

LASIK surgery is safe and effective when done in good hands.

you can get rid of your spectacles and contact lenses.

Before doing surgery corneal thickness is measured by pachymetry.

When appropriate thickness is present surgery can be done.

When done in experienced hands NO long term side effects are present.

Following your laser procedure, your eye may itch, burn or feel like it has something in it.
You may feel discomfort, or even mild pain which might prompt your doctor to suggest pain relievers. You might find that both eyes tear or water. Your sight might be blurry or hazy.

Long term precautions would be-

NO eye cosmetics.

No contact sports.

No swimming /whirlpool/hot tubs.

No adventure sports.

Regarding doctors any experienced laser surgeon would be good.

However XXXXXXX eye care Jainagar is a good reputed laser centre.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Follow-up: Are there any side effects of LASIK surgery? Could you recommend a hospital in Bangalore? 8 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks a lot for your response.

Couple of questions:
1) For how long will the post surgery itch & burn feel last?! I could manage easily if it is couple of days.
2) Please explain 'contact sports'. Also, I swim often as it is one of my hobbies. Will I not be able to swim regularly after the surgery?! Will wearing goggles help?
3) Is there a possibility to get short sight again in the future? What are the precautions should I follow (eye exercise or diet) to avoid such incident?

Thanks,
Gokul

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

1) Post surgery itch and burning will last for 1 to 5 days.

2) Football /athletics /scooba diving /bungee jumping/ any sport where direct trauma to eye is possible.

Swimming is best avoided.Good quality goggles can help.

3)Precautions are mentioned above .No other extra precautions to be taken for preventing short sight again.

After 20-30 years there is possibility that again sight may get to original position.A laser can be done again to correct the vision.

No diet or exercise is required in this regard.

best of luck.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Are there any side effects of LASIK surgery? Could you recommend a hospital in Bangalore? 12 hours later
Thank you Dr.Sudarshan!

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

if you are satisfied with my answer please accept it and rate it at the end.

Dr XXXXXXX