Are there any side Effects of Nasonex Spray taken for sever cold and how long does it take to cure?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor , Returned to Gurgaon after a two week holiday in XXXXXXX and since then have been suffering from a stuffy nose. It is almost 45 days now. Have tried homeopathy medicine with no result. Have used Otrivin Nasal Drops to clear the stuffiness but as soon as the effect wears off and my nose begins to get stuffy again, I become panicky and start pacing the room up and down. Usually I am woken up with a stuffy feeling at about 0230Hrs every night and then I become panicky and extremely restless. Have deliberately resisted using Otrivin continuously although it does provide relief. Have also been using saline water (Nasoclear) which helps in moistening the nose. Please note that I do not have a runny nose, instead, my nose is dry, breathing is also uncomfortable due to burning sensation. Consulted an ENT specialist about 04 days ago, he has prescribed Nasonex Spray (Mometasone) 3 times a day plus Montair-LC (Montelukast Sodium & Levocetirizine Hydrochloride) twice a day. Have had partial relief as the stuffiness comes and goes, also, I am having dryness in the nose. Please advise on the following: 1. Side Effects of Nasonex Spray, how long will I have to take this, what would be the withdrawal symptoms, will it be as bad as Otrivin withdrawal 2. What test do I need to get done to ascertain type of allergy 3. How long will it take to get cured or do I have to live with this inflammation throughout this season 4. Any alternative treatment that you may suggest
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are on right treatment Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, I have gone through your query. You are on the right treatment, there are no need to change of your medication, just add steam inhalation with karvolplus vapo caps five times a day. For your kind information 1. Otrivin nasal drop cannot be used for more than 5 to 7 days due to rebound phenomenon effect but nasonex spray doesn't have this type of side effect. 2. No need to do any allergy test, just continue your treatment. 3. About 15 days is required to cure this disease. 4. According to me it is the better treatment, have faith on your doctor. Wish you good health If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.