Are there any self help resources that help in treating GAD, Panic disorder and some agoraphobia?

Psychiatrist
Question
I suffer from GAD , Panid disorder and some agoraphobia. This makes functionaing and working in my office ( 10-7) difficult . I feel drowsy all day . I can't go to cafeteria to eat . I have been diagnosed by multiple doctor with these psychtric conditions after thorough multiple checkups. I am not on any medication and want to deal with it by therapy. The problem is therapy sessions are constly . Are there any self help link aur resource which can help me. I don't want to got back to online forums as it has been
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1. HOw frequent are the panic attacks? 2. Is there any use of alcohol/ smoke? 3. have you tried any medications/ therapies as of now? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD Neuro-Psychiatrist and Sexologist Neuro-Psychiatrist and Sexologist

Follow-up: Are there any self help resources that help in treating GAD, Panic disorder and some agoraphobia? 4 hours later
Hi Doctors Please find answers below. 1. HOw frequent are the panic attacks?2. Is there any use of alcohol/ smoke?3. have you tried any medications/ therapies as of now? Everytime I go out alone. 2) No alcohol No smoke 3) Yep tried fludac 20 mg , lonzep 0.25 mg each twice daily . Tried therapy but was not helping and was cutting a hole in my pocket.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Online resources Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the add-on information. I understand that you have tried fludac and lonazep and it seems it has not worked for you. But it doesnt mean that other drugs wont be effective for you. This is a disorder of anxiety and occurs cause of imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. especially serotonin, nor adrenaline, and dopamine to some extent. Medicines are the best options to take care of these symptoms and my best option is Paroxetine. I generally prescribe my patients 12.5 mg per day at night which takes care of anxiety symptoms. Also certain medicines like propranolol and clonazepam can be give as required when there is a panic episode or expected situation where panic attack can appear. You have requested some online sources and I would suggest you the following: https://moodgym XXXXXXX edu.au/welcome http://serene.me.uk/kiosk-0/anxiety_menu.php http://www.llttf.com/ I have tried them for my patients who cannot afford personal therapies. They were very effective. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Are there any self help resources that help in treating GAD, Panic disorder and some agoraphobia? 2 days later
Thanks doctor . But I have one concern that these medications make me drowsy the entire day and I cannot work efficienlty . Is there a way to apporach this issue without medication. Also now I am thinking that this extreme day time drowsiness is something else than anxiety. What blood work should I get done now to exclude other conditions. Last bloodwork was Dec 2013 and it was CBC sugar thyroid and testeronone all normal.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Medical approach would be the best Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up information. Many psychotropic drugs cause sedation and the best way to manage is by taking some drugs like wakalert in the morning which will increase the alertness. If you dont want to use medications then starting to do some regular aerobic exercises can help in improving drowsiness. No blood test other than thyroid is specific for drowsiness. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Are there any self help resources that help in treating GAD, Panic disorder and some agoraphobia? 4 minutes later
Thanks doctor for the confirmation . Also my tendency is to imagine that something is physically wrong with me all the time. That only adds to the anxiety panic. How can we be sure that it is anxiety and no other physical tests. Is there an exhaustive list of tests that can be done to exclude everything else. Till now I have had CBC , Liver panel , USG abodomen, Thyorid. Heart Echo and stress. Brain MRI. Endoscopy ,B-12 D . Is there any other test that I need to undergo before treating for anxiety. Also just to add this condition is getting progressively worse since last 3 yrs.

Brief Answer: No all in one test Detailed Answer: Hello If we start enumerating there are close to XXXXXXX number of blood tests and radiological investigations possible and practically its not possible to do each and every one. Depending on your physical complains the relevant ones are identified and then the patient is tested. The list you have stated is quite comprehensive and most of the illnesses mimicking panic disorders should be caught in these investigations. With regular treatment you should be doing well. Just be optimistic. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy