Are there any risks for not removing a cervical cerclage?

Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No risks in the procedure ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Tgere are various types of cervical cerclage, if you do not mind me asking, which type did you have inserted? A cerclage is usually kept until the delivery is expected, and taken out a while before delivery, after which you can resume with your normal activities while waiting for delivery to take place. There are no risks of removal of a cerclage ma'am. Depending on the type of cervical cerclage; McDonalds can be removed in the out-patient department; Shirodkar will require admission and a transabdominal cerclage is usually followed by a cesarean section. Other than the type of treatment or method that follows removal depending on the type of cerclage, there should be nothing else required. And absolutely nothing to worry about. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Are there any risks for not removing a cervical cerclage? 21 hours later
I am not sure which I had. I had two very normal vaginal births and then with my third had a cerclage due to pre-term labor at 25 weeks with Group B strep issues. I have had problems with anxiety, Vitamin D defiency, and some other issues since that I have not had before. A lot of hair loss. Any thoughts? I guess I should let you know I had a C-Section because they I was tearing and couldn't get the stitches out
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Congratualtions!!! Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. Congratulations on your new bundle of XXXXXXX I hope your baby is healthy and doing well in the new environment. Now coming tot the cervical cerclage; a McDonald cerclage has to be removed before delivery; whereas, a Shirodkar or transabdominal cerclage can be left in place but both these type of cerclages can affect future pregnancies ma'am. So please check with the doctor on the type of cerclage used and whether or not it was removed during the C-section. I hope this information helps you. My best wishes once again on your beautiful baby. God bless.