Are there any medicationa available to reduce hair fall and improve hair growth and hair thickness ?

Question
Hi Doctor I am 32 year Old. i am facing the problem of hair fall sicnce last 5 year.My hair is very thin from the front .please let me know any medicine which can reduce hair fall and can help in hair growth as well as hair thickness .
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Follow-up: Are there any medicationa available to reduce hair fall and improve hair growth and hair thickness ? 10 minutes later
is there any type of medical test required which can cause of hair fall and baldness.if yes ,then let me know the test anme and from from where I can do this.and let me know the medicine which is available in India

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

Although there are many causes of hair fall like stress, fungal infections, alopecia areata, hormonal imbalance (overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities), malnutrition, telogen effluvium and sebum plugs on skin but since you have receding hair line from front and you are a male, so androgenic alopecia or male pattern baldness is an important cause to be ruled out in your case. It is mainly genetic but sometimes hormonal imbalance like overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities also play an important role.

Regarding the investigations which can be done to confirm the cause of hair loss, some of the important ones to be done are:

1)     Iron studies and thyroid function tests
2)     Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone levels
3)     Trichoscopy (in this hair and scalp structures may be visualized at many-fold magnification)
4)     Scalp biopsy.

I suggest you to consult a trichologist and get these investigations done. You can consult a good trichologist in Fortis hospital Noida or a good hair clinic in Delhi.

There are many medications to improve hair loss like finasteride, dutasteride and topically applied minoxidil but these are available only under prescription and after ruling out the other causes of hair loss.

Give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food XXXXXXX in protein, vitamins(mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Are there any medicationa available to reduce hair fall and improve hair growth and hair thickness ? 6 hours later

would u pls suggest me any mulitvitamine name which contains all the micronutrient like zinc iron and copper.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 hours later

You can take "Livogen XT". It contains a good source of iron and Tab Cobadex CZS for a good supplementation of B-complex and zinc.
I would suggest you to use them under the guidance of your primary physician. The drug can be altered as required depending on the progress of your symptoms by your physician.