Are there any home remedies to treat acute pain down arm and back during 19 weeks pregnancy ?

My wife(25 years old, 61 inches, 170lbs) is approximately 19 weeks pregnant, and seems to have a shoulder/back/neck strain. She is experiencing sharp, shooting pains down her arm and back. Are there any home remedies that we can use other than ice and heat with tylenol??
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 2 hours later

Since your wife is pregnant and pregnancy being a very important time of her life , we must try to relieve her pain by good methods , avoiding more of XXXXXXX medicines. Here are a few tips that she could try

1.Massage : get this done from a professional , a light massage with lemon grass oil or lavender oil will help.

2.Acupressure :a few sittings of this may be helpful

3.Try application of dry heat after initial icing , this will help in increasing the blood circulation.

4.Physiotherapy will help her a lot .If this is feasible I consider this the best option for her at present.

5.Good amount of rest for a couple of weeks will help.

I hope I answered your query , I am available to answer your follow up questions as well .