Are there any chances of pregnancy with irregular period and abnormal bleeding ?

i am 27 yrs old and about 2 months ago i had unprotected sex several different times. i have never had an irregular period...other than when i was pregnant with my 2 children. well i had an extended period followed by spotting and 2 more periods for short times all in one month now i have had brown spotting the last week, just a little each day. i feel as though i have put on some weight and i have uncontrollable and very noticeable stomach flutters on a regular basis. i have taken numerous pregnancy test which have all been negative and i have been to the doctor...all my blood work was good and they prescribed birth control and diagnosed me with uterine bleeding. Is there any chance that i am pregnant?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

Abnormal uterine bleeding is any unusual bleeding from vagina which may be between periods, heavier or extended periods or spotting between periods. This bleeding can be due to Fibroid ,Hormonal imbalances, cervical or endometrial polyps, PID etc. Since the Blood test has already been done and it is a confirmatory test for pregnancy determination so chances pf pregnancy are ruled out.

Birth control pills are prescribed for regulating the cycles as they contain hormones which help in preventing ovulation and thus control bleeding. Some woman can exhibit heavier bleeding after taking the pills. If you experience any such thing, kindly see your Healthcare Provider for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.

Take Care!
Follow-up: Are there any chances of pregnancy with irregular period and abnormal bleeding ? 30 hours later
I have never had problems with an irregular period before, I have no stress going on in my life right now either. The blood work that was done was about 3wks after the unprotected sex, its now been 3 months. I have two other children and unless I am completely psyching myself out...i think i am pregnant! How long does conception take? How long does it take pregnancy to show up in blood work?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 14 hours later

Pregnancy shows up in blood work within one week of a missed period and it is a Confirmatory test for pregnancy determination. If you have not had unprotected sex even once after your pregnancy test came negative, there is no chance that you could be pregnant. Still, if you are in doubt you can go again for a Blood HCG test for pregnancy and also get yourself examined from a Gynecologist.

In women who have regular 28 t0 30 day cycle, conception can occur anytime between the 12th to 18th day of the cycle. Since your periods have been irregular off late it won't be possible to estimate your chances of pregnancy depending on time of intercourse.

Wishing you Good Health!