Are there any better treaments for adhesive arachnoiditis?

Neurologist, Surgical
Are there any better treaments for adhesive Arachnoiditis?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Follow-up: Are there any better treaments for adhesive arachnoiditis? 27 minutes later
Hi, I was treated with a Lumbar Peritoneal Shunt to control my Hydrocephaleus. This shunt has resulted in me contracting Adhesive Arachnoiditis. Do you have any treatment which may control my pain?
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 3 hours later

I understand the suffering you are going through, but unfortunately I have to mention that it is difficult condition to treat.

Surgical intervention can be tried if it is a focal lesion (limited to small area). But the results are not so good. Sometimes, it can even worsen the pain. For extensive lesion, conservative management will be better.

I need to know radiological findings and also the physical assessment findings. It will help me to guide you better. But, overall the conservative management like pain management, physiotherapy, exercises, etc is preferred over surgical intervention.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.