Ask a Urologist   »  

Are the raised spots on my penis genital warts or fordyce spots?

Hi, I wanted to ask about these spots/raised bumps on my penis. I'm worried that they may be genital warts but I'm hoping that they may just be Fordyce Spots. What are some things I should look for in order to tell the difference?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 20 minutes later

Spots/bumps on the penis can be due to various reasons and some common ones are:

1)Hair follicles: They are tiny nodules and are similar to each other in appearance.

2)Fordyce's spots: They are samll, painless, raised, white or pale in appearance and mainly appear on the scrotum and glans penis.

3)Genital warts: Pink or brown/skin colour with a moist surface and sometimes cauliflower like in appearance, sometimes itchy and can appear anywhere in genitals.

4)Molluscum contagiosum: Small dome shaped in appearance with a central depression and are caused due to virus.

If you have a history of sexual contact with an unknown partner then they can be suggestive of warts or any other STD's.

If there are any other symptoms as pain, discharge, itching and it has been present since long kindly consider visiting your Primary Physician so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Follow-up: Are the raised spots on my penis genital warts or fordyce spots? 10 hours later
Ok, after doing some research and looking and comparing to various pictures, I believe I may have Molluscum Contagiosum. The bumps I have most closely relate to those. They are singular growths, no wider than a couple of millimeters, flesh colored and are not soft or moist but rather hard and as dry as my skin. There are about 4 of them. What are some ways of preventing the spread of these things and what are some treatment/removal options I may have?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 hours later

Thanks again

The treatment of molluscum is not always necessary as some lesions heal by themselves.

Genital lesions if more in number can be treated as they can be transmitted by sexual contact.

The most popular treatment is scrapping of the lesions and if required later heat or cold therapy is done.

Along with that some ointments are prescribed for applying on lesions.

It is contagious so skin to skin contact with infected person should be completely avoided.

You can use Trichloroacetic acid, Imiquimod, Cimetidine containing ointment for this after consulting your dermatologist .

Avoid having intercourse,using bath tubs,swimming pools and sharing clothes or towel with anyone.
Do not scratch the bumps as they can spread to other body parts.

Wishing you Good Health!