Are the inner folds of vagina red normally ?

Is is normal for a woment to have the very inner folds of her vagina become slightly red? No other sypmtoms of anything, I just noticed last night that the very inner part of my vagina is extremely red, but it is equally red on both sides, they look exactly the same. No bumps or blisters, no discharge, no itching or burning, no other problems at all. What could this be caused by? I was extremely active the day before and was sweating profusely and walking alot. Could it be from getting overheated and chafed down there? However, I did have unprotected sex with a long time friend about two weeks ago, and he is adamant that he has no STD's. There was certainly nothing visible, but I know that doesn't always matter. If I have some kind of infection, Im not sure why it just showed up last night, and I have no other syptoms. ??? please help
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 minutes later

Since you were very active and were sweating a day before, this redness of vagina is due to chafing or friction rub. It is less likely for a STD to present after two weeks without any change in discharge, lumps, blisters, ulcers etc. Chafing is basically skin irritation and redness which occurs when skin rubs against skin or clothing.

The other possibility is of vulvovaginitis which is an inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. Allergic reaction to commonly used products like soaps, vaginal contraceptives, feminine sprays and creams, bubble baths and scented toilet paper can often cause an inflamed vulva and vagina.

Follow these methods for a quick relief from this redness:

1) Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material. When doing exercise wear athletic tights or cycling shorts.

2) Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.

3) You can apply calamine lotion as it will help in soothing the skin.

4) Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral anti inflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful in reduction of the redness and inflammation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.