Are the hormone test results normal ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Good
Question
I HAVE UTERINE FIBROID OF SIZE 5.7*5.0*4.1CM AT THE SUBSEROSAL LAYER.AND I AM TAKING FERTOMID 50MG SINCE I AM NOT OVULATING ,SO MY GYN HAS PRESCRIBED ME.BELOW ARE MY TEST DETAILS.
MY:
HORMONE TEST RESULTS:
FSH:9.9,
LH:6.1,
PROLACTIN:24.3,
ESTRADIOL:92,
SERUM PROGESTERONE:1.2,
SERUM INSULIN:2.6
DHEAS:0.9,
THYROID:
T3:4.2,
T4:1.55
TSH:1.168

HUSBAND'S:
SPERM COUNT:82
68% ACTIVELY MOTILE

ARE MY HORMONE TEST RESULTS ARE FINE,IS IT IS OK TO TAKE FERTOMID WITH FIBROID.
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

you didn't mention on which day of menstruation you have undergone the investigations, the values wary with the day.

anyhow normally hormonal evaluation will be done on 2nd or 3rd day of periods, if it is so in your case,
your test values are indicating follicular phase,
high estradiol, LH, prolactin are indicating absence of ovulation.

thyroid hormone levels are normal if free hormones are measured.
you have to write units of the hormones also to tell whether they are normal or not as the reference values differ according to labs.

fertomid contains clomiphene citrate, it is used to induce ovulation by elevating FSH and LH hormones which will further lead to elevation of estrogen and progesterone.

these tablets to be used with caution in fibroids as there is chance of increase in size of fibroids.
you discuss this with your gynecologist, if she says the benefit over way the risks then you can continue under her guidance.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Are the hormone test results normal ? 15 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for replying my queries.I went through the tests on 2nd day of my cycle.As per your observations, are the tests of estradiol,LH and other hormones normal for the 2nd day...My GYN has told me i can take the medicine "fertomid 50" as she finds no problem in that...

Also I was on homeopathic treatment for my Fibroid could that be a reason why I am not ovulating?
Also is my husband's report is normal?
I am rewriting all the details below:

FSH: 9.9 mlU/mL
LH: 6.1mlU/mL
Prolactin: 24.3 ng/ml
Estradiol 2: 92 pg/ml
Serum Progestrone:1.2 ng/ml
Serum Insulin:2.6 ulU/mL
DHEAS: 0.9 ug/ml

HUSBAND'S:
SPERM COUNT:82
68% ACTIVELY MOTILE

hi XXXXXXX,

according to normal hormonal values on 2nd day of menstrual cycle, you are having
high LH, normal is around 5 mlU/mL

high Prolactin, normal < 20 ng/ml

high Estradiol, normal is around 50 pg/ml

low Serum Progestrone, normal is around 2 to 3 ng/ml

all these are indicating anovulation, the possible causes are poly cystic ovarian disease or variation of hormones at hypothalamo pituitary ovarian axis.

anyhow as you are taking tablets for induction of ovulation hope it will be corrected.
as your doctor told you continue fertomid 50, but be cautious about complications.

the cause of absence of ovulation is appearing as hormonal rather than homeopathy treatment anyhow you once show that product to your doctor and discuss if she advice to continue you can take that.

your husband's semen analysis is normal.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.