Are the cells in kartageners syndrome similar to cilia syndrome?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
abnormal cells come and go in females during pap test in my close family such as my sisters and my daughter. my sister while pregnant had them so her doctor send her to a oncologist to see if they are cancer cells-results no. the oncologist said they look close to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX syndrome. i have a daughter that has situs inversus totalis which is linked to kartageners syndrome some times. so are the cells in kartageners syndrome simular to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX syndrome? i want to see pictures of the cells from both syndromes.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

Kartageners syndrome as you mentioned has situs in versus totalis and abnormal ciliary motion of some cells in various parts of the body leading to some complications.
The cilia have abnormal structure and hence abnormal motility.
Your description can go very well with it in getting repeated respiratory infections,sinusitis, etc in the family. It can affect both Mae and female fertility.
It is a genetically transmitted illness.

But XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is a different kind of anomaly affecting the development of face causing small mandible,cleft palate and tongue falling backwards ( which can lead to respiratory obstruction)

Are you sure the oncologist mentioned this syndrome in the differential diagnosis for abnormal pap smear?

All the best
Dr Uma