Are the bubbles on my stool fat or air?

I have noticed recently, off and on for a month or more, what look like air bubbles on top of my stool in the water and I am wondering if it is air or if it could be fat? I eat a totally plant based diet.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

As for what you are seeing in the toilet, bubbles are usually related to air or gas. Air or gas can be trapped inside stool sometimes depending on the density of the stool. If stool is particularly dense and very hard we would not expect to see this. It is possible that what you are seeing is related to two things: one is some air escaping from the stool as it sits in the toilet and secondly it could be some air bubbles generated when the stool drops into the toilet. These are not worrisome at all and are not indicative of any abnormal process.

One other consideration if these are not bubbles would be - are these potentially fatty particles or oil. I would doubt this as it would be apparent most likely that what you see is not an oily type of residue but more so a bubble.
Some patients have problems absorbing fat and this can cause stool to be quite oily. Again I do not think this is the case with you.

I advise that you continue your healthy plant based diet along with a healthy exercise regimen to maintain optimal health and continue to live a very long and healthy, happy life.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga