Are testosterone shots advisable for low testosterone treatment?

I am a 21 year old college athlete who was tired and had no energy. Was diagnosed with low testosterone, 290, and they want to do testosterone shots. I did the first one then read that it hurts sperm count and having kids is real important so I am not sure if I should continue.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 5 hours later
Brief Answer: External Testosterone not advisable Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Testosterone is definitely not indicated for treatment of low energy States. Giving external Testosterone suppresses the release of Luetenizing hormone (LH) which is secreted by Pituitary. Luetenizing hormone plays a key role in Sperm production. In presence of low levels of Lh sperm production may be altered. Athletes do sometimes have low Testosterone because of following 1. Excessive exercise: it increases the scrotal temperature and may affect both sperm and testosterone production 2. Wearing tight undergarment: it also increases the temperature I would suggest you good balanced diet, plenty of oral fluids to prevent dehydration and taking off from your busy schedule. These will definitely help in getting back your energy. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD