Are tension headaches a symptom of serious disease?

ENT Specialist
I have tender pain above eyebrows, back of head and temples. I have this headache every single day, i was told these are tension headaches. I have tried new pillows, stretching in the morning and i exercise 3 x a week. Are these headaches a symptom of something more serious?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 34 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

First of all I want to clear that Tension headaches needs non pharmacological treatment rather than drugs. So, before consulting a doctor, try this-

From your question it is obvious that your headache is because of your tension. But just think and why you should get tension when most of the problems will be solved sooner or later.

Sometimes even when you are cool, people around you may try to antagonise you and when you are clear that getting tension will not solve your problems you will surely stay cool.And one more thing you have to look to solve the problems when it is smaller and easier.

In spite of all these you get head ache-Just apply some eucaliptus based pain reliever on your head.

If possible, sit erect (lie down if it is unbearable headache), close your eyes and go back into your head - to the point where you feel the ache is centered. Visualize that the point is diffusing into the XXXXXXX ocean of awareness which is pure, divine and blissful. Do it to enjoy its benefits.

you should avoid
1. all milk products, namely milk,curd,buttermilk(chas-hindi),tea,coffee.
2. you should avoid all sweets made of sugar, gur,honey...
3. you should avoid all sweet fruits for one month(mango,sapota,papaya,etc)and cool drinks.
4. you can take all wheat and rice preparations,ragi java,...
5. you should take daily 400 gms of uncooked cucumber( or 100 gms of radish) and 3 betel leaves daily.
6. you should avoid smoking and alcohols,nonveg,fish,eggs for one month.
7. You could use oral analgesic such as paracetamol if the headache is severe.

All this for next one month, dont worry you will be all rite between this period.

Hope, it will help you. If you have more doubts, I will be available for follow ups.