Are some areas of the abdomen more prone to keloids and hypertrophic scars?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
hi,i am looking for information about keloids and hypertrophic scars in abdominal region.
1)Are some areas of abdomen more prone to keloids and hypertrophic scars?
2)is upper abdomen more prone to keloids and hypertrophic scars than lower abdomen?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 29 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Keloid is an inherent issue with the type of skin and ethnicity

It is more common in black people than in white

It can be treated with local steroid injections and silicone strps

If need be can be operated followed by steroid in scar on table and postoeratively

Hope this answers your query
Am avvailable for followup
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Are some areas of the abdomen more prone to keloids and hypertrophic scars? 22 hours later
sorry to say that i did not get answer of my questions.

my question are..

1)are some areas of abdomen more prone to keloids and hypertrophic scars than othere ares of abdomen?

2)is upper abdomen area more prone to keloid and hypertrophic scar formation after surgery than lower abdominal area?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 12 hours later
Hi

Had typed from a smart phone so just missed that query

Statistical data says keloids develop most often on the chest, back, shoulders, and earlobes. They rarely develop on the face (with the exception of the jawline).

There is no data known for specific areas of abdomen which are prone to keloid formation nor is it mentioned in literature that upper abdomen is more prone to keloid formation than lower abdomen

But in our practice we have seen keloids in Laparotomy scars both lower and upper but in my practice of 23 years it is more commonly seen in lower abdominal scars

Yet because it is not documented we cannot claim lower abdomen is more prone

Hope this answers your query
Do not hesitate to write back for any carification

Follow-up: Are some areas of the abdomen more prone to keloids and hypertrophic scars? 10 hours later
if we give an incision in upper abdomen for open cholecystectomy and an incision in lower abdomen for appendecectomy or hernia repair.

Will upper abdominal incision will be more prone to develop hypertrophic scar or all incisions will have the same chance to develop hypertrophic scars?

Hi

I think I have replied to your query in my previous reply

Again for your information :

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead