Are skin rashes and skin bumps contagious?

Dec 2012

my grandfather has had this rash or bites all over lower back, and his legs for about a month now> nothing seems to be clearing it up. he used prescription creams itch pill > he was recently in the hospital for enemia and his white blood count was very low they had to give him a blood transfusion. the itching starts real about 2 oclock every day. he sayd it itches so bad he could jump out of bed, new bumps keep appearing. I was reading up on bed bugs but I would think they would of gone away since he was in the hospital for a week, then I started reading up on dust mites, human fleas, and lice on the body. im trying to rule anything contagious out because he is coming to stay with me and I have children. any insight would be great. he also says when it starts itching it feels like he can feel it inside AND THEN THE BUMP APPEARS.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer: could be related to an autoimmune condition Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX It is perfectly normal that you should be worried about your father's rashes especially around children as it is always safe to assume that all skin conditions are contagious until proven order wise. Apparently, they are a lot of factors that might hint you on the fact that your father's rashes might not be related to infection or bugs. First, the rashes been located on his lower back and legs. If related to bugs, it might been wides spread and affecting even his abdomen and upper trunk (usually generalized). You could also check, if he had been living with other people and find out if any body is suffering too from persistent rashes. Also, the fact that he stayed in a clean environment such as the hospital and still had the rashes persisting. Then he describes the rashes as coming from inside. I do feel that this is not infection-related rash but rather related to either allergy, dermatitis (more specifically atopic dermatitis/eczema), autoimmune condition (given that recently he suffered from anemia and low white blood cells) etc. Kidney diseases could also be the cause. I feel that your grandfather might be suffering from a much more serious underlying condition which requires further medical attention i.e by running a series of tests including kidney function, Complete blood count, and autoimmune diseases markers. A skin biopsy might be necessary just to make sure that the condition is not related to a parasite. Hope this helps and wish you both the best. Dr. Nsah