Are semen report results okay?

pls advise on my attached semen report if everything is ok. thanks
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, can you kindly attach the report! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much or this query. I am so sorry to hear about this concerning regarding your semen analysis and all the inconveniences that this might have caused you. Unfortunately, I cannot see the attached report. I will very much appreciate if you can try to attach the report again because the upload wasn't successful. If you should have any particular difficulties, please contact the customer service for assistance. I wish you well. Hope to review the report with you. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Are semen report results okay? 5 minutes later
hi doc, I have attached the report. pls review and advise if everything is normal or any chance or sign of infertility. thanks and waiting
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for uploading! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for uploading the results. I have gone through. The sperm count and characteristics are all normal. Nothing suggests infertility on this analysis. However, you have pus cells suggestive of an infection. These cells all by themselves are not conclusive of an infection but then needs to be investigated further. I will suggest that you get a semen and urine cultures to confirm this suspicion, isolate the germ and identify which antibiotic would be best to control it. If these cultures should not identify any infection, then you are good to go. Remember, even a stellar semen report cannot for sure say whether you are fertile or not. The ultimate test is when you impregnate a lady. However, this test suggests that there are no reasons to question your fertility but in no way confirm that you are fertile. I wish you well and hope tis addressed your query fully. Feel free to ask for more related follow up questions if need be. Thanks for utilizing our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Are semen report results okay? 4 minutes later
Hi doc thanks. Is the infection something to worry about . Is it treatable Also if the epithelial cells within normal. What is the normal range for pus cells
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seen should be sterile! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this. Epithelial cells are normally found in seen and thus a normal range is established. However, pus cells should never be found in semen because it is supposed to be very sterile. Generally, we expect a count of less than 4 not to be associated with any probable infection. This test is not diagnostic of an infection. It simply requires a follow up to make sure there is nothing we are missing here. Also, if you have no symptoms, this could have been caused by contamination during collection. In all, cultures would for sure make a clear cut between an infection or not. Between, do you have any genital pains or discomfort during urination or any other symptoms? Hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Are semen report results okay? 14 minutes later
Hi doc, thanks for your reply. No such discomfort during urinating but sometimes face fungal problems near the genitals. Also should a urine culture exam is good or you suggest any other exams as well. Pls advise I will then go for the tests tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not an emergency Detailed Answer: The simple truth is that the pus cells suggest an infection. The best thing to do is to do a culture of both the semen and urine to see if for real there is any germ that can explain these. If no germ is identified, then there is no need to get worried. If a germ is identified, then the precise antibiotic that can treat this would be prescribed for treatment. For now, there is no emergency. Get the test done and we would move on from there. With no such symptoms, this would probably represent a contamination but good to follow through and make sure it is nothing else but that. Hope this helps. I wish you well and feel free to keep the discussion going. Best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.