Are same antibiotics prescribed for UTI and Chlamydia?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am a 44 yo adult male with a UTI/STD question. I had unprotected sex 10 days ago and have had a burning sensation while urinating for the past 3 days. There's some minor discomfort at the tip of my penis, but it is constant. My questions are 1) Are the same antibiotics prescribed for a UTI as for Chlamydia? 2) Please rate the best treatments from the following: 6 tabs of /250 mg tablets of Azithromycin, 7 tabs / 300mg capsules of Cefdnir, 12 tabs/ 875mg Amox/K Clav and 8 tabs/500mg Ciprofloxacin. 3) What is the quickest dosage of the above options? (I've heard, for example, that 4 tabs all at once of Azithromycin is sufficient) 4) Is it ok to chop up the pills and mix with smoothies as I don't like taking pills. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. To answer your questions one by one - 1. Antibiotics for a UTI depend on the culture results. If the urine routine microscopic testing detects an offending organism, then a culture is ordered to determine the particular antibiotic to which that organism is most susceptible. 2. I can rate the treatments for Chlamydia, for a UTI I already described the procedure. 6 tablets of 250 mg Azithromycin is your best bet. It is comparable to 7 days of Doxycycline treatment. These two are the only recommended regimes. 3. The quickest is 4 tablets of AZithromycin taken together as a single dose ( 4 tablets of 250 mg or 1 gm total ). 4. A smoothie is fine as long as you take all of it. You can also take the liquid suspension form is an issue. All the best. Please feel free to revert.

Follow-up: Are same antibiotics prescribed for UTI and Chlamydia? 14 minutes later
I understand that 1gm is the recommended dosage of Azithromycin, but what is the likelihood that 750mg would take care of it?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Insufficient dosage is not recommended. It might lead to resistant / persistent infections. Dosages are decided for a specific purpose, so why breach them? Correcting the last line of the previous answer - you can take the liquid suspension if swallowing is an issue.

Follow-up: Are same antibiotics prescribed for UTI and Chlamydia? 41 minutes later
What is the likelihood of infecting a woman if we've had sex only once since I was exposed to the Chlamydia? What symptoms would a female likely show?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, even with a single encounter, if the sex was unprotected, you can transmit chlamydia if you got infected with your exposure. In 75 % of females, chlamydial infection is asymptomatic. Otherwise, it can cause - abnormal discharge itching burning itching during intercourse burning micturition redness lower abdominal / pelvic pain and tenderness Take care.

Follow-up: Are same antibiotics prescribed for UTI and Chlamydia? 38 minutes later
Is blood in the urine a symptom?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer: YES Detailed Answer: Yes, it could be.