Are red, swollen eyes a reaction to eye drops?

hi, i gave my dog hartz flea and tick drops yesterday. my 3 yr old son loves to nuzzle the dog and now his eyes are red, swollen, irritated, sensitive to light and leaking. is this normal pink eye or a reaction to the medicine in his eyes?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

Red, swollen, irritated eyes with light sensitivity are more likely to be due to conjunctivitis either due to allergy to the drops or due to the exposure to dust or to other irritants.

In this season, vernal conjunctivitis is also common and is characterised by roapy discharge from the eyes.

Your child needs to be examined by an ophthalmologist and antibiotic and steroid eye drops along with antiinflammatory eye drops are needed after examination. You can get these prescribed from your doctor.

Till that time, keep the eyes clean and wash it with cold water frequently to keep the eye clear from the secretions.
Use dark glasses to avoid photophobia.

Do not rub the eyes.

Avoid contact with the dog for sometime.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.