Are red bulges on the face with itching and irritation effects of continued usage of betnovate ?

hello doc, i hv side effects of betnovate on my face
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Follow-up: Are red bulges on the face with itching and irritation effects of continued usage of betnovate ? 9 minutes later
because of prolong use of betnovate my skin become habitual of it , as i left it , it is showing its side effect line my skin is itching and irritation, some red budges are on face and its become photosensitive and getting dull day by day
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later

Betnovate is a steroid based ointment.

The symptoms that you are experiencing are due to steroid withdrawal. Dullness of the skin and photo sensitivity will improve gradually and other long term effects of chronic use of steroid (if any) also wear off slowly.

Few other conditions that may be the cause of your symptoms are eczema, dermatitis, food allergy, etc. I encourage you to consult a competent dermatologist to rule out the aforementioned conditions.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief you might try anti allergic drugs such as fexofenadine or any other over the counter medications. They might help you.

Generally use of any steroid based preparation is never recommended for a long term use without any specific indication. It is best that you stop using betnovate and let the withdrawal symptoms subside gradually over time.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.