Are polyester sutures left in body after a surgery?

I need to know if POLYESTER sutures are left in the body after surgery. My Dr. did this to me and a month later the area became extremely infected and the polyester sutures were making there way out of my body due to rejection.. She put in 5 and then I was given emergency surgery to take them out where he had to put a 4 inch deep by 5 inch long hole in my stomach for removal. I have heard many different answers to this question. The one thing all of the surgeons had said that polyester is not used but other kinds are to help in the healing process. I need to know once and for all if polyester is a common suture to leave in ones body?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, polyester sutures can be left in the body Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this rejection of suture you had after surgery. The truth is all suture types can be left in the body. The decision to keep or not depends on the side and the exact surgery type. For instance, if we need a powerful suture that should last long and provide strength in holding together a structure, non-absorbable sutures like polyester would be used. If we don't need such, then we can easily use absorbable sutures like catgut. Rejection is something that happens with all suture types. Any suture, polyester or not, absorbable or not, can be rejected. This is simply something that any surgeon would not know of unless it has happened in the past and is documented. It is rather unfortunate you rejected this particular suture type, not because it is forbidden to be left in the body but because your system didn't tolerate it. The definite answer is yes, polyester can be left in the body. Rejection is not common but can happen with all suture types. It is rather unfortunate it happened to you. In future, this particular made would be avoided to avoid similar complications. I hope this addresses your query fully. feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish you well. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.