Are opioid analgesics prescribed for depression symptoms?

Are opioid analgesics ever prescribed for depression symptoms? When I take these medications I feel completely cured of depression symptoms. I take them very rarely a
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 40 minutes later

Important points of your query:
•     Presence of depressive symptoms
•     Ocassional use of opioids
•     Relief in depressive symptoms with opioid analgesics

Opioid analgesics never prescribed for depressive symptoms. But because of euphoria associated with its use, give sense of improvement for short duration. Contrary long term use of opioids itself can cause Depression.

According to one of the theory for being addicted to substance, state that: Anxiety and depressive patient try to self medicate themselves with addictive substance and after few time they become addicted to it.

Following steps will be helpful in your case:

•     Stop use of opioid or other substance as they may enhance your depressive symptoms after long term use and may lead to dependence, which is very severe condition.
•     Take psychiatrist consultation so that he can start treatment after your assessment.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wishing good health for your son.