Are mosquito repellents safe for infants?

Hello Doctor We in India use a variety of mosquito repellent vapourisers. I want to know if its safe to use these products with infants around. If not till what age should we avoid using and what atre other safe alternatives. Thanks XXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Since your baby is 90 days old I suggest you to avoid any vaporiser . Mosquito net is the best option. Cover him properly with clothes with full sleeves. In case you have to take baby out for more than 1 hour and there is risk of mosquito bite you can safely apply mosquito repellent cream having lower concentration of DEET (10 TO 30%) Maintain proper cleanliness around your house thus avoiding any water to collect. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any further query. Wishing your little XXXXXXX good health. God bless....