Are men with xy syndrome prone to difficulties with emotions?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi my Partner has xyy syndrome and i would like to know if men with this syndrome are prone to difficulties with emotions and aggresion and what else to expect
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Patient may have behavioural problems. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM XYY Syndrome is a genetic condition that occurs when male genes have an extra Y chromosome. The effect of having an extra Y chromosome varies from person to person but the majority of people with XYY syndrome lead normal life. However some people with XYY syndrome may experience problems such as learning difficulties, behavioural problems or aggression but this is not unique to XYY syndrome. Its management is not different from behavioural problems due to other reasons. You may seek psychiatrist help.Patient may be managed well with psychological help. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Are men with xy syndrome prone to difficulties with emotions? 31 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Physically my partner is tall. I would like to know other physical characteristics of the syndrome. He seems to have a low libido and smaller genital size than other men I have known. Is this part of the the syndrome? His intelligence does not appear compromised, but he takes a long time to grasp concepts. Please answer my my question in more detail. Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM People with XYY syndrome are on an average 7 cm taller. The testosterone levels in SYY are normal so there is no significant difference in people of XYY syndrome. Low libido is not because of XYY syndrome. Intelligence in XYY is almost equal to those of normal population but some of them do have learning difficulties which you have described as he takes a long time to grasp concepts. Other behavioral problems are similar to the normal population. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX