Are low grade fever, night sweats, weight loss and painful red boils above scrotum signs of any STD ?

hi, I am 37 years old. Since 2 weeks ago i have been having low grade fever, night sweats, weight loss and swollen lymph nodes (painfull, moveable and hard) on right side of neck. Doctor did all the tests including cat scratch, HIV, Lymphoma, LEukemia, all negative. took a course of Antibiotics with no improvement. Just 2 days ago, i noticed some painful angry red boils/pimples (at least that what it seems to me) on the very base of my penis/ top of scrotum...on one side only...there are about 3-4 of them 1/4th of a cm each. Very painful to touch. Wanted to know if this could be an STD. I had sex with a condom with a prostitute and unprotected oral sex. this was back in mid february. or is it just boils due to antibiotic and reduced immunity and high stress...
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 30 minutes later

The symptoms described , do not appear to be due to any STDs. This has been proved by the negative tests done to check for STDs.

The symptoms (boils) do appear to be due to bacterial infection, which might be benefited by application of a neosporin ointment (topically).

Stress is also a major factor, that can cause viral infections, as well as weight loss.

In case, the symptoms are not subsiding, blood tests including a blood culture, and sensitivity might be helpful, to diagnose the bacterial infection and also guide the effective treatment.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions.
Follow-up: Are low grade fever, night sweats, weight loss and painful red boils above scrotum signs of any STD ? 11 hours later
Hello Doctor, thank you for your reply

Two clarifications.
The doctor has only tested me for HIV (also for mono), not for any other STD...though they have done a regular blood check up which is normal (they have also done blood cultures which shows nothing), a fine needle biopsy for lymphoma which is negative and a chest x-ray which is normal.

Also, i took a course of antibiotics a week ago (Doctor gave it to me in case it was a bacterial infection causing this) so would that not take care of the bacterial infection which is causing the boils?

it does not seem to be syphilis which could explain my other symptoms (but is manifested thru a painless Chancre, while this is very painful)...could it be Herpes, but would that happen almost 2 and 1/2 months after the possible infection. the girl did not have any sores on her mouth etc....What else could it be, if it were to be an STD?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later
Hello Again,

The lesions described by you appear to be folliculitis (infection by bacteria on the skin), and not due to any form of STDs (including Herpes).

Since the antibiotics given to you were probably for a throat infection, their action might have completed, and you might benefit by application of neosporin ointment to the skin lesions.

In addition, taking NSAIDs like ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation and the pain.

I hope this helps to clear any doubts.

Follow-up: Are low grade fever, night sweats, weight loss and painful red boils above scrotum signs of any STD ? 5 hours later
Thank you Doctor for clearing that up. I am grateful. I will apply the neosporin as recommended by you.

One final question. In your opinion, what could be the likely cause of the symptoms (Night sweats, weight loss, low grade fever every day, weakness, lack of desire to smoke/have sex, swollen lymph nodes on one side of neck -which were earlier painful but now are not) i am experiencing? it certainly seems to be an infection, not a malignancy or auto-immune reaction. what are the possible causes i should be trying to check or test? It has been going on for 3 weeks now and i am anxious to know what could have caused it. Any light you could throw on it would be apreciated.

thank you for your support.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 31 minutes later

The symptoms you had earlier and which are probably resolving could be due to bacterial pharyngitis. The antibiotics which you had taken might have resulted in resolution of the symptoms.

There is no need for any tests, since most of the tests already done have been normal. The lymph node enlargement will soon subside in a week or two.

Taking NSAIDs like advil or motrin will help in early resolution of the symptoms.

I hope this helps to clear any doubts.