Are heart palpitations, increased bowels and tender throat symptoms of one disease ?

i have been trying to lose weight (proper eating and excercise 5x wk) for the past 2 years. i have lost approx 25 lbs, and could stand to lose another 20 (belly fat and under arm). I have been under alot of stress. Last week i began to experience heart palpitations, they are now more frequent. As well, it seems my bowels are moving more frequently. I also have had a tender throat for about 3 weeks (feeling like i was coming down with something - no temperatur). My glands in my neck are slightly swollen, and i have pain in my neck and bottom of ears. I am 50 years old. I had a vitamin b shot last thursday, doesn't seem to have done anything. i am very tired. Any suggestions? i am 5'7 and weigh 185 lbs (female).
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

From your symptoms, three possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be ruled out.

1) The first possibility is of hyperthyroidism. Some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism such as tremor and palpitations which are caused by excess thyroid hormone acting on the cardiac and nervous system. You need to get your thyroid profile tested to rule out this condition.

2) The second possibility is of any arrthymia heart which can be diagnosed by 24 hours holter monitoring. It will rule out this cause as cause of heart pounding.

3) There is a strong possibility of these symptoms being due to anxiety neurosis. For ruling them out you need to consult a psychiatrist. Symptoms of anxiety neurosis include sweating, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, trembling, heart pounding and hot flashes. It requires psychological counselling and anti anxiety medicines which are available on prescription.

4) Also menopause can cause these symptoms.

If all the above conditions are ruled out, a benign type of viral syndrome may cause all these symptoms. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, lymph gland swelling,etc.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.