Are fainting spells due to syncope and food poisoning co-related ?

I am a 54 year old female 200 lbs 5 1/2 tall. Some years ago, I was diagnosed with syncope, which is a fainting disordered. I will fainting at times after eating. I would often get lightheaded and sometime blackout after eating food. The doctors ran a number of tests prior to giving these diagnoses. After accepting this diagnosis, I have learned to control my fainting by bracing myself if the feeling presents itself. The feeling starts with an out of body experience after eating, feeling a tingle in the body and then blacking out. The months of having this I have not experienced syncope experiences.
Years after the diagnoses with syncope I had lapband procedure done. The doctor stated he did not know how the lap band would impact the syncope or vice versa. I have not had problems with fainting or eating, until this week food poisoning.
Experiencing food poisoning is something I do not wish on anyone. Two days following the food poisoning, I am now having fainting spells. I did past out once. I am still having these fainting feelings. These fainting spells are not like the synopses fainting.
Question do you think all of these are related? What is going on with me? I checked my BP at home last night. One read 189/97. I took it 10 minutes later it was 120/90, and this morning it was 120/87. I am on BP and thyroids for hyper medications.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

You have had a recent history of food poisoning. After any severe acute infection, repeated spells of dizziness are common due to generalized weakness, lack of proper meals and extra energy expenditure in combating the illness.

The high BP readings are always expected if it is measured without adequate rest due to higher adrenaline levels seen during work and anxiety.

Still to be on a safe side you should exclude other common causes of repeated dizziness like-

1. Anaemia- reduced blood hemoglobin levels. This can be ruled out by getting a complete blood picture done.
2.Cardiac problem- Missing heart beats are one of the common causes of dizziness or it might happen due to some irregularities in the cardiac impulse. This can be ruled out on having an ECG done.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.