Are extensive fibroadenosis symptoms of breast cancer?

Hi My mom was diagonised for breast cancer. The following was the impression report 1. Features of bilateral fibroadenosis 2.Altered echo texture with prominent ducts and hypoechoeic areas noted. 3.Hypoechoiec lesion and subcutaneous tissue in lower outer aspect with thickening of skin. --- Extensive Firbroadenosis/Infiltrative mass lesion.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Hello Selvamrajagopal,

Thank you for posting your query.

You have said that your mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. But this is an USG report which is suspicious of breast cancer.

Breast cancer can be diagnosed only on tissue material, which can be obtained by either fine needle aspiration or biopsy.

However the USG report is not very convincing to me. I suggest your mother to undergo one of the above procedures for confirmation.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Are extensive fibroadenosis symptoms of breast cancer? 2 days later
Hello Doctor,
After doing the above procedure if it not found to be cancerous is Surgery the only way to remove it or do we have any medicines to have this treated. If you suggest a good hospital for cancer treatment in chennai.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

Unfortunately, we don't have any medicines to treat it if it is benign. But if the report is definitely benign we may keep her under observation.

You can contact Dr M P Ramprabu (Medical Oncologist) at MIOT hospitals, who has recently joined there after completion of his training at AIIMS.

Hope this helps you.