Are dryness, irritation in mouth and lumps symptoms of mouth cancer due to chewing tobacco ?

Hello. I am a 38yr old male and have chewed tabacco for 15 years. I dipped about a can every one to two weeks. However, last week while working on project I dipped about two cans in a week. My mouth became really sore and my lower lip where dip was swelled, there was a lump, which seems to have reduced in size, or has at least stopped growing, but another has developed near it a few days later. This new one materialized a day or two ago and is still with me. Now my whole mouth feels dry and irritated and just today a row of lumps popped out in a nearly straight line across the whole of my inside upper lip and feels like a spice-type burning. There is no bleeding. Could this be something other than cancer? Can cancer tumors just pop up all over like that in a week?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Get question is a very good one and I will do my best to provide you with good information and recommendations regarding your concerns.

As far as your concern regarding some type of cancer it would be relatively rare for a cancer to grow so rapidly.

I am more inclined to believe that the symptoms you are experiencing art in Fleming XXXXXXX in nature. The fact that you had such a significant exposure to the toxic substance associated with the chewing tobacco makes me really think that this is something which will be temporary.

What you are likely experiencing will slowly improve over the next couple of weeks. I do have a couple of suggestions for you to help improve the symptoms. My first suggestion would be for you to take some ice water and swish it around your mouth for 15 to 20 seconds. I would repeat this 10 to 15 times 3 to 4 times per day. The local contact of the cool water on the inside of your mouth should help to lessen the inflammatory process.

The next thing I suggest would be for you to purchase some Maalox. This can come in a liquid form and is easily purchased over-the-counter at your local pharmacy. I would also swish this around your mouth several times per day. The ingredients of this preparation will also help to soon with the inside of your mouth.

I would expect your symptoms to slowly level off and improve within the next 10 to 14 days. In that time. I would like you to consider the possibility of discontinuing usage of chewing tobacco. We now know through good research that this type of a habit can contribute to the formation of cancer in the mouth. Again I do not think you are suffering from any kind of cancer at this point but I believe that this is a good time to consider discontinuing a potentially XXXXXXX habit.

If for some reason your symptoms worsened or processed beyond the next 10 days I recommend you see your doctor for a thorough examination and consultation. I really doubt that this will ever be the case for you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. Next data. Sincerely,

Dr. Robert.