Ask a Urologist   »  

Are dizziness and urinary tract infection connected?

I have been experiencing severe dizziness (to the point of nausea) when I lay down - especially if I turn my head to the left. This has been going on for about a month or so. I am 5'10", 215 lbs 39 year old female (I know I am overweight - I used to excercise and watch my weight, but in the past 2 years have been working 20 hour days 7 days a week practically) My blood pressure is normal. I am always exhausted - which is understandable because I am always working! I also feel like I am having a UTI starting - which I haven't had in years - I tested a strong positive for Leukocytes and no nitrates. The two are probably completely unrelated - the dizziness and the positive leukocytes - I just am worried because my husbands sister died of leukemia - her only symptom and reason for going to the doctor was dizziness and exhaustion.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

There is no relation between dizziness on lying down and BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is caused by problems in the inner ear. Its symptoms are repeated episodes of positional vertigo which is a spinning sensation caused by changes in the position of the head.
2) The second possibility is of Meniere’s disease in which dizziness when lying down is also accompanied with hearing loss, roaring in ears and tinnitus or loud ringing noises in both the ears.
3) The third possibility is of anxiety and stress or cervical spine problems which can be caused by wrong ways of sitting like inappropriate position while using the computer.

Constant tiredness and fatigue can be due to anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypothyroidism, disorders of the hypothalamus, psychiatric disorders like depression and sleep-related breathing disorders. Since you had gestational diabetes, your blood sugar levels also need to be evaluated as diabetes can often present with tiredness as initial symptom.

My suggestion would be to get an ENT examination done from an ENT specialist to rule out BPPV and Meniere’s disease, blood count, Hemoglobin levels and thyroid function tests done along with fasting blood sugar levels.

I can understand your concern for leukemia but a complete blood count should be done first of all to rule it out. Since you are overworking, hence it can be due to stress and anxiety due to work, lack of sleep and anemia also. Leukemia presents with many other symptoms like swollen lymph nodes, frequent infections, bleeding or bruising of the body or weight loss. However to confirm the diagnosis bone marrow aspiration can be done.

Leukocytes in urine indicate infection.This needs further evaluation and a complete urine examination along with urine culture and kidney function tests should be done. Please consult a physician and get it done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Are dizziness and urinary tract infection connected? 44 minutes later
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly the information I need to move forward... thank you so much!

Thanks for your kind words. Please do write to us in case you have any medical concerns. We will be happy to help you out.

Take care and regards.