Are dengue and malaria fatal for babies?

Hello, we currently live in Russia. Due to my husbands' work we are planning to move to Chennai, India with our 3 boys: 1, 7 and 10 years old. I am very worried about Dengue and Malariya, especially for the little one. Are these deseases so fatal for babies? I am still breastfeeding. Will it help the baby not to catch them? Can I do vaccinations while breastfeeding? What are the risks - should we cancel the trip?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

Dengue and malaria both are mosquito born diseases. In India mosquitoes are abundant and may be present in posh homes and gardens too… Though all mosquito bites may not catch these diseases.…

Best way to be protected against mosquito bites is applying mosquito protection cream to exposed parts of body of all family members at 6 pm. It acts like a shield. These creams are very safe and almost no allergy noted yet… Avoid accidental ingestion or getting in eyes.

All malaria and dengue are not killers; there may be many other diseases like say flu. There are definite tests to diagnose dengue and malaria… timely intervention will help rapid cure. Currently no vaccines are available for these two diseases. Also all travellers are adviced to take weekly chloroquine dose while in India for malaria protection.

I hope this answers all your queries. Do write back if any further details needed.

Follow-up: Are dengue and malaria fatal for babies? 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer. I understood your joke about posh homes and mosquitos :) Should I give chloroquine to 1 year old? Is it safe for me to take it if I am breastfeeding?
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

It is safe for you to take Chloroquine and also for your 1 year old child. Breastfeeding should not be an issue as very little of the medicine passes through the breast milk. It is a weekly dose which has to be taken for prevention of Malaria. For children, the dose has to be calculated according to their weight. For proper calculation of the doses and prescription for Chloroquine, please visit your nearest paediatrician.

What works best is mosquito repellent skin creams.

Thanks for your comment. I hope this answers all your queries. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Thank you.